Date: August 30, 2017
Time: 12:37am - 3:37am
A subset of REST API endpoints (those that cache results) were returning incorrect information. As a result, the manual test UI and CI plugins were unable to list all available platform options.
Why It Happened:
One of the servers that replies to REST requests ran out of disk space. The disk space monitor did not alert because it was configured incorrectly.
What We Did To Fix It:
We redirected REST requests to another server and cleared disk space on the impacted server.
What We Are Doing To Prevent This From Happening Again:
We have fixed the disk space monitor.